History of the museum
In 1967 past and present residents of Wandin celebrated the centenary of settlement. Over the next decade Annette (nee Sebire) and Neville Lord researched the history of Wandin and district and were awarded the Award of Merit by the Royal Historical Society of Victoria for a minimum of eight years original research in the field of local history.
The Wandin Group in the Museum of Lillydale
In 1979, with the encouragement and financial support of the descendants of Wandin's pioneer families, the Lords mounted a display, under glass, of photographs and artifacts at the Museum of Lillydale. In 1987 their Wandin Pioneer Families display earned a Certificate of Merit in the Museum of the Year Awards. In 1988 a Bicentennial Tableau was created and financed by the Wandin Group. 'The Pioneering Days of Wandin 1866 – 1900' displayed over 150 artifacts and photographs.
The Wandin Collection comes home
In 1990 four descendants of pioneers Henry and Martha Sebire offered the original Sebire family home and one hectare of land as a home for a Wandin museum. The donors were Olive Sebire, Annette Lord, Lance Sebire and Graeme Sebire. The one hundred-year-old brick home was Mont De Lancey.
Over two years of planning, fundraising and restoration work followed. A large farm shed was coverted to a museum with the addition of a mezzanine floor and reception area, and a building first used as a cow shed in the 1920s became 'Martha's Tearoom'.
On March 14th 1993 Mont De Lancey Historical Home and Museum was officially opened by the Honorable Pat McNamara MP, Deputy Premier & Minister for Tourism
Major projects undertaken since 1993
- 1994 - St Mary's Chapel: officially gifted to Mont De Lancey by Rev Goodluck on behalf of the Anglican community.
- 1995 - Slab Kitchen: funded by the Olive Sebire and Annette & Neville Lord Trust.
- 1996 - Heritage Education Centre: opened by the Honorable Jim Plowman MP.
- 1999 - Blacksmiths Facility: funded by the Olive Sebire and Annette & Neville Lord Trust, officially opened during Bastille Day celebrations.
- 2000 - The Heritage Room: a library/resource room jointly funded by a Federal Grant through the office of the Honorable Michael Woolridge MLA and Graham & Marie Colling, opened by Senator Tsebin Tchen.
- 2000 - Machinery Shed: displaying agricultural machinery and early vehicles.
- 2005 - The Ray Oliver Gallery: an annexe of the museum, named for our volunteer builder.
Part of the Ralph Proctor collection